As previously mentioned, most email users nowadays use email client software to download emails to the PC, and send / receive emails there. Here are some examples of such kind of software:-
Outlook – one of the series of software from the Microsoft Office Suites, and is the advanced version of Outlook Express. Outlook includes personal information register formula (Notepad) and email communication software.
- Manages personal data, eg meeting, diary, and contact list.
- Manages public data, eg accepting and allocation of tasks, public folders, and meeting arrangements.
- Works like Windows Data Manager: directly open all files from the server.
- Supports Internet Mail, Microsoft Mail, Microsoft Fax, Exchange Server etc. with strong Internet communication function
Outlook Express, or simply OE, is an email software developed by Microsoft. Outlook and Outlook Express, both a part of Office Suite, are 2 totally different software. Though both of them carry the functions of sending and receiving emails, they are not inter-operatable. Some people even think, probably from the similarity of names, that Outlook Express is the “simple” version of Outlook. But the fact is Outlook Express cannot co-operate with Microsoft Exchange Server like Outlook does.
Advantage of Outlook Express: as it only focuses on sending and receiving emails, it is considered more stable and easy to use when compared to Outlook. Plus, its Chinese version is probably the best Newsgroup supporting software nowadays. As it is easy to use and available in many languages, even people with little computer knowledge could learn to use it very soon.
Before Outlook and Outlook Express become prominent, the most used email software was Netscape Communicator, which remains popular among some users. Back in 1997, Netscape merges email software, newsgroup software, e-meeting software, data collection software etc. and released Netscape Communicator. It was then a popular email software and a reference taken by Outlook in the design stage. After just a couple of years, Windows published the Office Suite including a full range of software including Word, Excel, IE and Outlook, that gave a massive blow to the market share of Netscape Communicator.
No matter what email software you use, the following habits must be maintained in order to avoid possible technical problems:-
- Don’t place all emails in one single folder, but in a couple of folders separately. When the total volume of emails in a folder (including its sub-folders) excesses 1G, the operation of email system will be affected and the speed will drop.
- Permanenetly delete emails. Some people think clearing the trash box means permanently deleting the emails, but the fact is the “deleted mails” in Outlook or Outlook Express still take up memories and thus affecting the operation speed. In Outlook and Outlook Express, you can follow the steps below to cope with this problem. Go to [Tools] > [Options] > [Others] > [Auto Archive] and customize settings according to your needs.
Although Outlook and Outlook Express is easy to use, it should be noted that they can only function in computers that have completed related settings. Webmails become a more sensible option when you’re in a Café, netcafe or working abroad without your PC.